Buy the book "The Book of Buckskinning Vol. 1", this is the single best place to get educated about Mountain Man reenacting!
It was tax time. I had a return coming. I knew that we all
wanted to go to a rendezvous and camp period style. So we had family council. I
told the kids that we had a choice; we could take the money that was coming and
go to Disney Land once or buy equipment for Rendezvous and be able to camp many
times. Surprisingly it didn’t take a lot of convincing, the choice was unanimous,
and we were going to rendezvous. We really didn’t have a lot of money so where
did we start? First I bought a tent from Red Hawk Trading Company. There are a
few period tent makers but I am loyal to Red Hawk. We have had our tent now for
years and it’s still as strong as when we started. I bought a bakers style tent
with a large 15 feet fly for shade. I went big because we had a big family and
I wanted room for visitors, but if it’s just you, or you and a friend, you
really don’t need much more than a couple canvases to make a lean-to. Mountain
men in all reality typically didn’t have a large set up; they were transient,
trapping until they weren’t catching any beaver any more then moved on to the
next pond or river. After the rendezvous the year before with 90°+ weather I
figured a fly was important. Next I bought a steel fire pit from one of the
traders I met the year before. Most places won’t let you build a fire on the
ground anymore, so you need something off the ground. I arranged for the both
traders to bring the tent and stove to me at rendezvous so it would be there
when I got there and I didn’t have to pay for shipping. I already had something
to cook in, a 12” Dutch oven. We found some wood handled silver wear, a few enamel
covered tin plates and cups, and a few metal utensils that looked old fashioned,
at the local thrift store it cost us about 10 bucks. I found a couple of Dietz
oil lanterns; they actually started making these in the late 1800’s but are
generally accepted in the rendezvous. Some of the more serious events do not allow
anything non-period but for most these lanterns work just fine. You will hear
some say that candles are more period. I think this is silly. A candle only
last so long and it could be a year or more before a mountain man could trade
for more. How many candles do you think they would carry and how many would it
take to get through a year? If anything fire was their only light.
Shelter √, fire √, food prep √, light √, now I needed
clothes.
While at the thrift store I found several pairs of flat
front corduroy pants for me and the boys; corduroy was a common fabric in the
1800’s but they didn’t have pockets on the outside to I took the back pockets
off to be more period. We found some skirts and dresses made from calico fabric
for Rhonda and our girl. Calico fabric was very common during the 1970’s and 80’s
and has been around ever since and maybe before the 1800’s. Very few of us can
buy all the leather it takes to make period clothes all at once, so greenhorns usually
dress the way country folk would dress during that period. We brought old
leather shoes to finish the look.
The hardest thing to find away from rendezvous was finding
period shirts for the boys and me. I did my homework and found a pattern. They
are all over the internet for purchase. I then asked my mom to teach me to sew.
I made two shirts for me and one for each of the boys. Rendezvousing is all
about doing it for yourself.
How did you start up?
How did you start up?

started when i was 8 after was told again how i was dying. so dad took me to a rendezvous. and started me selling braid leather. 42 years later i think the doctors are wrong but still doing the rendezvous and loving the family i have made.lost dad 22 years ago. but still have all the great memories
ReplyDeleteWe love you Oma!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip on reading Book of Buckskinning. I just checked and it's at my library, so I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteI married my husband almost 10 years ago, and he'd been going with his best friend's family for about 8 years before that. For the first few years of our marriage, it was something he went and did with his buddies, not me. But then, about 3 or 4 years ago, I went with my husband, and it was better than the other times I'd been. I had FUN (I was bitten with the bug then)! My hubby already had a Rendezvous shirt, and got away with blue jeans. I went and bought the bare minimum from a trader- a shirt and skirt. Then we researched lots and lots of places for tents/tipis both new and used, and bought a tent from Red Hawk Trading...and that's how I got started. Since then, I've completed my husband's outfit, and enjoyed making new things for our hobby. You're right. It IS all about making things yourself!